Sunday, April 15, 2007

Why going back to XP is...painful.


For the past 3 months or so, I've been using Windows Vista. Because I recently acquired a need to edit videos with more versatility than Movie Maker could give, I needed to install Sony Vegas (My video editor of choice). But, as of version 7, it is not only incompatible, but killed my install of Vista. So I went back to XP, and this is when I realized how much XP really sucked.

First, the damn OS looks retarded. No, not ugly or obscene, it just looks strait retarded. The system font looks out-dated, windows waste too much space with their blue...ugliness. Speaking of the XP theme, the sound scheme is bad, too. Thank you so much Microsoft for updating it in Vista!

Next, the OS itself is just not coherent. Vista came along way to matching OS X's usability in that both just made sense. XP makes you ask "Why? Why did you put that there?" at several turns.

No built in applications. I mean, Vista isn't packed with apps either, but XP is definitely bare bones. In XP, as that long installation chugs along, you know you're going to have to find your wireless driver, get all your drivers in your low-res Internet Explorer 6 window and get everything just right- too bad that takes nearly an hour. In Vista, everything at least looks good upon initial boot. Plus IE 7 doesn't suck too bad, and Vista has significantly better hardware support than XP. Thank goodness.

Vista is faster. On the same hardware, Vista is significantly faster in almost every way. Applications load much quicker, the GUI is more responsive, and finding things is much easier. Just a better experience I suppose.

Needless to say, I will be returning to Vista ASAP.

1 comment:

RBChallenger said...

I cant imagine going back to XP or going to Vista at all, having to deal with it at work is enough for me. Nice blog btw!!!

Regards,
Rich
www.lightning-alley.com