Monday, April 9, 2007

How to overclock the DV6000z notebook.






Ok, so you want to add a little more zip to your laptop without spending a lot (read: anything). Well, heres how you can overclock your AMD (!) DV6000 series laptop without even opening the case. This works best in XP, but can still be done in Vista with some fiddling. Note, overclocking will yield higher performance, but underclocking (below the regular 800mhz) will not yield better battery life. I know its weird but I tested it.
  1. Firstly, download a program called nTune. Install it, and if you're running vista, install with administrator rights.
  2. Now once that is done, lets get some things strait. I am not responsible if you detonate your laptop by trying to overclock it to 100GHZ. Be careful, and use common sense.
  3. Now that that is out of the way, if you are running Vista, you have to find an application called nvcplui on your hard disk. Search for it. When you find it, right click it and check "Run as Administrator".
  4. Now nTune should work for Vista users. Now download and install SpeedFan. Run it and monitor your temperature. I have never had my 1.6GHZ Turion X2 go above 72 degrees in speedfan. Your CPU may run a bit hotter or cooler, so later we will write some rules to make sure your laptop doesn't overheat. AMD rates the MAX temp for this CPU as 95 degrees, but you can't account for the other components in the laptop case, so we want to stay cool.
  5. Finally, the overclocking part! Go to the nVidia panel in control panel, click your new "Performance" option, agree to the liscense and you're ready to overclock! Click "Adjust Motherboard Settings".
  6. Now you're ready to do it. See the slider? Slide that over until you get to 1700mhz. Click "Apply". Breathe. Now, if your computer froze, your CPU probably isn't up to overclocking. But thats unlikely, because laptop CPU's are almost always good overclockers. Now, check your SpeedFan temps. Looking Good? Now, go run a challenging program like a video editor, and while that runs, keep an eye on your temperatures the WHOLE TIME. If the temperature goes over 76 degrees, I would stop.
  7. However, I went to 1800mhz on my laptop. My average temperature was 68 degrees during hours of high load computing. I'm sure I could go further, but then battery life would suffer dramatically and I really don't want my components to be pushed over 70 degrees.
TEST. Then do it again. Always watch your temps. After you've made absolutely sure that your laptop is stable and safe at your new speed, here's how to overclock automatically when windows starts.
  1. Go back to the Performance tab. Click "Adjust Custom Rules". While your laptop is overclocked, go to the top of the window and click the profile menu. Click save. Choose a name like Overclock or 1800mhz.
  2. Now, click "The first time windows starts", then click the arrow, then check "Load this profile" in the top box.
  3. Now in the right-lower box, click the blue "profile" link and choose your overclocked profile. A little confusing, no? Now click Accept. This will run your overclocked profile when windows starts.


Now, to put in some automatic fail safes to keep your laptop protected. I know these custom rules are complicated, but you can figure them out with a minute of trying.
  1. In the Custom Rules panel, click "When temperature is higher than XX degrees Celsius" then click the arrow. Check "Load Profile" in the top. Choose a profile called sysdflt. Then click on the blue "When" in the right box and choose CPU. Click on the blue XX and type 75 degrees.
Now your laptop will automatically reduce its speed if the CPU temp is too high. Nifty huh? In Vista, I would chose the "Balanced" profile so that your laptop. There you go, your laptop is now faster, for free!! If you decide to do this, please comment with your increased benchmarks or temperatures =).

2 comments:

porquebloggeo said...

Great how-to, I am hopping tu use it on my dv2000. My concern is that i opened the NVMonitor in the nvidia control panel and it showed a red mark on my GPU because it was at 333MHz and the temp where in the 70C or more. My laptop is still stock i am hopping that those numbers are normal. I googled but people seemed to just be speculating. Can you at list say if you have similar numbers without overclocking?

porquebloggeo said...

I forgot I have pic at http://picasaweb.google.com/porquebloggeo/Overclock#5262335822248843122